DogGoneFast Flyball Club Adventures

2 RVs, 4 handlers, 10 dogs... Alaska here we come! How crazy are we... driving from Raleigh, NC to attend a flyball tournament in Palmer, Alaska... read all about it right here!

My Photo
Name:

Flyball Fanatic and former software engineer... which is why I have the time to drive to Alaska this summer! This is my boy BC, Sweep, with me at the Birmingham Bandits tournament in Alabama.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Great adventure comes to an end


Tuesday, July 18th finds us just east of Nashville, TN. Ditto has decided that it doesn't make any sense at all to drive back to Raleigh before going to Birmingham, AL to see her daughter, so she is going to head south while Bill and I load all my dogs and stuff into the big RV and head east towards Raleigh, NC. It is sad to say good-bye to one of our travel companions (even though she only lives 15 mins away from me and I'll see her next week after the PBA tournament!!). But mostly because it means that our wonderful adventure has almost finished. Bill and I weren't sure that we could make it to Raleigh in one day, but around 7:30pm we decided to press on and got home about 10pm!

Some random thoughts about the 7 week trip...
- wow, what great scenery
- we travelled well over 12 thousand miles
- flyball folks are wonderful
- we only saw one speed trap (in Illinois on the way back south)
- most people we met were extremely friendly and helpful, only 2 people were mean/rude to us in any way (I'm sad to say they were both in BC, Canada in 2 different places)
- we didn't see many police on the alaska highway, which I thought was odd at the time, but in retrospect, anyone crazy enough to be doing over the posted speed limit was likely to get a broken axle
- the worst mosquitoes were in northern British Columbia at Liard River Hot Springs (but we did see a moose here right near the Hot Springs so that was neat)
- I don't even want to think about how much I spent on gas
- I took loads of photos and video, the hard part now will be to pick the best ones to print
- next time I would prefer to go a bit later, so that the folks in N. Canada and Alaska have had an opportunity to do some work on the roads. They were much improved on our way back, and that was about 3 weeks after our outbound trip


Gosh... did I just say "next time". HAhahahahhahaha...

Thanks for reading and I'll see you soon at a flyball tournament (or my ex-work friends, perhaps at a Wed China Express lunch).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home